TIME for LIVE EMERGENCY SOOTHING PIANO MUSIC / update ….A question, for you. For me. And for a piano.
Hello my Loves.
it’s time for EMERGENCY SOOTHING PIANO MUSIC. there are already lots of patrons on the stream / in the chat, and about 500 people RSVPd!! go here…..
i spent all of yesterday reading your 500+ comments. i get it. you’re tired. i get it. you’re tired. you’re so, so, so tired.
so am i.
for so many reasons, good and bad.
we are here in the studio in auckland ….
….and about to go live in about half an hour. I AM SO HAPLY I DECIDED TO DO THIS AND SO EXCITED TO PLAY MUSICS FOR YOU.
The stream is open. Go chat.
It’s Thursday morning, greetings from Auckland City.
I’ve traveled off Waiheke Island for the first time since July. On the ferry over – the first time I’ve been on any kind of public transport in four months – the woman in front of me was crying and making some frantic-sounding phone calls. She was young….maybe 25. Her voice sounded American.
As the ferry docked, I asked her if she was okay.
Her grandmother died yesterday. In Ohio.
She’s trying to fly home.
Neil has Ash for a few days, and I’m going to head into the recording studio tomorrow for a brand new experiment…with your blessing held close to my heart.
I’m going to JUST PLAY THE PIANO for a few hours, create one long, beautiful (hopefully beautiful) soothing-your-nerves-in-a-pandemic improv piece, and then Thing it. The whole session will be streamed live for patrons only (RSVP here, and also check what time the stream is for you locally).
The music will start at 11:11am my time tomorrow and go…as long as it goes.
An hour? Maybe two? I dunno. I’ve never tried to see how long I can play piano. But my touring show was four hours, so….I can probably play a really long time. But I’ll need to pee. I’m thinking two hours. I’m not gonna pull a Marina Abramović and hide a bedpan under the piano stool. (Or DID she?)
And then I’ll send you all the finished piece as a WAV and MP3 (all patrons will get a download, not just the $3 folks).
I’m staying at a friend’s house in the city; they have a piano.
Today and tonight I’m going to read all of the comments on this post (I expect there will be hundreds, if not thousands), and work on stretching my piano canvas and cleaning my piano paintbrushes. Everything you write to me, here, will be put into the piece. You’ll understand later.
And so here is the question….and here is, also, your challenge.
How are you?
How are you….really? How is it feeling inside you? If you are in lockdown, still, what is it like? How is your heart? How does it feel to be around the people you’re around? How is your body? How is your ability to cope with life? Are you…exhausted? Satisfied? Suicidal? Elated? Just getting by? Numb? In love? In grief? In debt? In panic? In heaven? Collapsed? And don’t forget: tell me where you are. Hamburg? Sydney? Ohio? Japan? South Africa? Maine?
Tell the piano.
We are listening.
But also, don’t just tell me. Tell each other.
I have an ask of all of you:
After you post your comment, please respond to ONE other comment.
Any other comment. And say….ANYTHING. Offer a hug. Offer a congratulations. Offer an “I see you”. Offer a “That sounds terrible.” Just….answer. That is my ask of you. That you see each other here. (If you’re one of the first commenters, just wait an hour and come back to the post. There will be others).
I will be reading everything before I sit down for the session.
I’ll see many of you tomorrow. Once again, if you haven’t RSVPd to the crowdcast for tomorrow, please do, and feel free to connect there in the chat (as I see you already are).
Oh and a note about the chat tomorrow: please USE IT! My piano playing is not sacred. The point of the chat is for you all to be able to talk with and find each other,. Consider my piano playing a soundtrack to your conversation. A vibe-setting soundtrack, hopefully.
I see there are 200 people already ready for the stream….I cannot wait.
Here’s the link again.
I love you.
I am reading.
———THE STUFF I SAY AT THE END OF EVERY POST———
1. if you are a patron and new to my work, don’t forget your patronage allows you access to ALL of my patreon releases to date. HERE is the link to download my latest big solo record, “There Will Be No Intermission”, and HERE is a link to download the PDF of the art/essay book that goes with it.
2. if you’re a patron reading this post via an email notification, please click through to comment on this post. at the very least, if you’ve read it, indicate that by using the heart symbol. that’s always nice for me to see, so i know who’s reading.
3. see All the Things (over 150 of them) i’ve made so far on patreon:
4. JOIN THE SHADOWBOX COMMUNITY FORUM, find your people, and discuss everything: https://forum.theshadowbox.net/
5. are you new to my music and TOTALLY OVERWHELMED? TAKE A WALK THROUGH AMANDALANDA….we made a basic list of my greatest hits n stuff (at least up until a few years ago, this desperately needs updating) on this lovely page: http://amandalanda.amandapalmer.net/
6. general AFP/patreon-related questions? ask away, someone will answer: email@example.com