watermelon switchblades and a brief hello from a hard week
i just wanted to check in – i’ve been so quiet on the posting front, but that’s because every time i try to think about posting there’s too much to say and that’s leading to hardcore posting paralysis.
this last week auckland went back into lockdown (because of a few untraceable covid cases and because new zealand is amazingly vigilant, which i love), so no school, so back to a lot of flailing and re-scheduling and ash time, and then the wheels fully fell off the bus on friday when the country went into an earthquake-related tsunami warning on top of covid lockdown.
i am from new england where there are no earthquakes. getting alarms on my phone saying HEAD TO THE HILLS is a little startling. the day was written off. i posted a few times to twitter and instagram but i didn’t come here and i’m thinking a lot about my weird habit of only posting brief updates over there. i should change that. the whole team is working on setting up a discord channel for patrons, and we are going to start with the $25+ patrons only in a beta test while we get global moderators in place so nobody comes in and ruins it with trolling or stupidity.
i’m fine, neil is fine, ash is fine. many people texted and called and messaged making sure we were okay…thank you. it’s just been really weird. every time i think i have time for a breather something rumbles and disrupts.
there are quite a few new patrons on here and i’ll say what i’ve been saying all year: WELCOME, and i love you, and pardon our appearance as the main artist in charge is basically having a semi breakdown of sanity and just barely keeping her basic shit together.
i started this patreon because i wanted a safety net, but i never imagined the safety net would feel like this. to those of you who’ve been with me here for five years, you know what i’m talking about, and i feel so grwatdul you’ve stayed on the boat for this rocky ride.
i took ash to the beach today and took a great photograph of a friend’s kid holding up a watermelon with a switchblade in it. this is the caption i posted to instragram:
i’ve started a new avant-garde band on waiheke. all the members are under 9 years old and we are called Watermelon Switchblade. all the songs are 11 minutes and performed in silence. gigs will take place in unannounced seaside locations throughout the island, only when there is a blood moon on a day of the month when the digits add up to 11. all gigs will be pay what you want. all proceeds will go to save the earth. openers will include Eggplant Hammer, Kumera Axe and Feijoa Guillotine. BYO switchblade and watermelon.
a girl can dream.
i love you all a lot.
more soon, a lot more, i hope. pray that auckland stays out of lockdown this week so that i can actually get my head together. i have a lot to say. it’s just been hard to say it.
——THE NEVER-ENDING AS ALWAYS———
1. if you’re a patron, please click through to comment on this post. at the very least, if you’ve read it, indicate that by using the heart symbol. that’s always nice for me to see, so i know who’s reading.
2. see All the Things (over 100 of them) i’ve made so far on patreon: http://amandapalmer.net/things
3. JOIN THE SHADOWBOX COMMUNITY FORUM, find your people, and discuss everything: https://forum.theshadowbox.net/
4. new to my music and TOTALLY OVERWHELMED? TAKE A WALK THROUGH AMANDALANDA….we made a basic list of my greatest hits n stuff (at least up until a few years ago, this desperately needs updating) on this lovely page: http://amandalanda.amandapalmer.net/
5. general AFP/patreon-related questions? ask away, someone will answer: email@example.com