Hello, My Name is Sonu. (A piece of writing, and a video reading).
Hello my loves.
And now for something completely different.
Well, not THAT different. I’m tired, I’m disoriented, I’m behind, I’m landed in America, I’m taking it easy. I thought a lot about what to thing this month – I could have pulled something out of the archive ( lord knows we have plenty in the goody shoebox), and I threatened you all with a watercolor and poems and I waited, as I enjoy doing, for the last few weeks to direct my art-heart where it wanted to beat.
The final determination was a piece of writing, a little memoir/essay that runs about 2,600 words, called “Hello, My Name is Sonu” (Sorry, I Just Got Here).
READ IT HERE:
I decided to publish this piece on Substack because:
A) It’s way prettier and a far more enjoyable experience to read a piece of writing on Substack and
B) It’ll reach the advice column readers, who I assume will like it (?) and if they don’t, they can just unsubscribe (99% of them are not “paying” subscribers anyway.
I get the feeling the Substack will just be a nice free publishing tool for my written work, whether it’s Advice Column Stuff or Essay or Fiction or whatever winds up floating my writer boat. I’m floating at the moment. It’s nice to have a place to put the more “real” stuff, leaving this backstage workshop for the messier and more constant output.
I’m open to ideas, different options, whatever, espeically if people are confiused.
But basically: patreon funds everything, and Substack is prettier.
I also recorded the final draft reading for you here on video (embedded)…and I’ll send this post/link along to the 200 or so people who ARE subscribed to the paying tier of the substack, just so they don’t feel sideswiped. Simple it is not.
Enjoy the piece. I loved writing it.
I know I like my writing when I immediately want to send it to my friends. 🙂
I’m here, reading comments.
And I love you.
———THE STUFF I SAY AT THE END OF EVERY POST———
1. if you are a patron and new to my work, don’t forget your patronage allows you access to ALL of my patreon releases to date. HERE is the link to download my latest big solo record, “There Will Be No Intermission”, and HERE is a link to download the PDF of the art/essay book that goes with it.
2. if you’re a patron reading this post via an email notification, please click through to comment on this post. at the very least, if you’ve read it, indicate that by using the heart symbol. that’s always nice for me to see, so i know who’s reading.
3. see All the Things (almost 200 of them) i’ve made so far on patreon:
4. JOIN THE SHADOWBOX COMMUNITY FORUM, find your people, and discuss everything: https://forum.theshadowbox.net/
5. are you new to my music and TOTALLY OVERWHELMED? TAKE A WALK THROUGH AMANDALANDA….we made a basic list of my greatest hits n stuff (at least up until a few years ago, this desperately needs updating) on this lovely page: http://amandalanda.amandapalmer.net/
6. general AFP/patreon-related questions? ask away, someone will answer: firstname.lastname@example.org