my only big solo show this summer: august 13th in kingston, NY to fundraise for O+
Hello my loves.
I have lot to say and share on other fronts, but for now…show news!!
NEW YORK/area….I’m going to do one big solo show (and one show only, please tie me to the mast) this summer, and it’s a fundraiser for the O+ FESTIVAL (in Kingston, New York) with special guests Holly Miranda, Chris Wells, and Gracie and Rachel (who will be fresh off tour with Ani DiFranco).
SATURDAY, AUGUST 13th – tickets are here:
(Guest list-level patrons…please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, first come first served!!)
We are taking over The Old Dutch Church for the night …. AND there’s a beautiful piano and newly refurbished pipe organ….
…and it’s gonna be really intimate and memorable.
We are all so tired…and will be so happy to play music and songs, all together, for you. Let us commune.
I will almost definitely do a separate little gathering for patrons that day or the morning after, depending who’s coming and spending the night! I’ll poll closer to the day. I’ll be playing a combo of old and new material, and likely collaborating on unique songs with the guests. 🙂
I’ve worked with the magical people of O+ before: this is – truly – a revolutionary festival and concept.
I’m lucky enough – and have been lucky enough since the early days of The Dresden Dolls – to have health insurance, and to be able to insure my whole staff.
But most musicians in America are…screwed. Especially just having come from New Zealand, where health care is free and universal (for anyone, no matter what their age, race, or job), it’s even more shocking to face a culture where artists and musicians have to choose between health care and basic needs, like food and rent.
This whole system is built to fail. I often find that my friends overseas are unaware of the punishing and horrifying nature of the health care system here in the USA. It’s just…gobsmackingly barabric to those who take free, or cheap, health care for granted.
I chatted with an American friend just the other day who had to pay $15,000 out of pocket to take care of an ectopic pregnancy. Some people have safety nets, families with money who can help out when something happens.
Most do not. In America, something like a broken limb or an unexpected visit to the emergency room can put you into debt for years. It’s….bananas. Artists are doubly vulnerable. Our job is physical, we need our bodies to work, and most of us don’t have regular employers; we are the ORIGINAL gig economy.
O+ festival is about a lot things: shining a light on this insanity, raising money and awareness, and on a practical leveL ACTUALLY getting on-site health care to local musicians. When I put my hand up to do this benefit, they asked if I needed access to a doctor, dentist, or other health care professional sometime around the week of the show. How amazing is that?
From their site: “Underinsured artists and musicians create and perform in exchange for a variety of services donated by doctors, dentists and complementary care providers. O+ (pronounced O Positive) calls this exchange the art of medicine for the medicine of art.”
I am unable to play the actual festival (in October) because I have some family commitments. BUT…this show is going to raise money to keep the festival running.
I hope many of you can come. I’ll be with some of my best friends in upstate, and we hope to create an unforgettable night of songs, stories, and music. If you’re in New York City, it’s a short drive, or a 90 minute train to Rhinecliff across the river! Find a place to stay, carpool or train, and come upstate to see how beautiful it is here….
If you can’t make it, please donate. It’s a great cause.
who you may recognize as “Donald Trump” from the “Mother” video…
Gracie and Rachel:
Me and Gracie & Rachel, a few year ago at a Planned Parenthood fundraiser:
and Holly Miranda
I MADE A THREAD on the shadow box forum for people coming so you can rideshare/make friends/offer a couch, find a couch!!!
I HOPE YOU CAN COME.
This is gonna be real good.
Ticket link again:
———THE STUFF I SAY AT THE END OF EVERY POST———
1. if you are a patron and new to my work, don’t forget your patronage allows you access to ALL of my patreon releases to date. HERE is the link to download my latest big solo record, “There Will Be No Intermission”, and HERE is a link to download the PDF of the art/essay book that goes with it.
2. if you’re a patron reading this post via an email notification, please click through to comment on this post. at the very least, if you’ve read it, indicate that by using the heart symbol. that’s always nice for me to see, so i know who’s reading.
3. see All the Things (almost 200 of them) i’ve made so far on patreon:
4. JOIN THE SHADOWBOX COMMUNITY FORUM, find your people, and discuss everything: https://forum.theshadowbox.net/
5. are you new to my music and TOTALLY OVERWHELMED? TAKE A WALK THROUGH AMANDALANDA….we made a basic list of my greatest hits n stuff (at least up until a few years ago, this desperately needs updating) on this lovely page: http://amandalanda.amandapalmer.net/
6. general AFP/patreon-related questions? ask away, someone will answer: email@example.com